Very large consumer products company has an excellent opportunity available for Machine Design Engineer. Develops, tests and modifies the fabrication and engineering designs of product equipment, components and work processes involved with the manufacture of consumer products. Researches and calculates production equipment capacity per machine; machine tooling to support the production process and associated labor costs.
Essential Functions: (An employee in this position, may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential functions; these examples do not include all of the functions which the employee may be expected to perform).
- Works on the fabrication of a product from the design and testing of the production equipment to the work processes involved in the fabrication process. Uses two and three dimensional computer-aided design software or other software to develop concepts for equipment, components or work processes.
- Designs or directs the work of the drafting department in the preparation of drawings and sketches of production equipment for new products or line extensions. Builds prototypes associated with the fabrication project.
- Develops written specifications for prototype testing to be conducted by Engineering Technicians. Reviews and evaluates test results conducted on prototypes to improve upon efficiencies and/or yields involved with fabrication.
- Maintains documentation of all test results and modifications made and their cost for ISO purposes. Troubleshoot problems encountered during testing, along with test results with representatives of the Product Development Team to arrive at solutions.
- Analyzes existing work process systems and production equipment for design improvements, modifications or adaptations to be made due to new product development or line extensions.
- Prepares a project budget and tracks all costs for fabrication prototypes and those of actual production equipment. Uses project costs to formulate product roll-out costs for equipment, fixtures, fabric and component inventories.
- Formulates cost estimates of materials and time lines for various upgrades, design improvements and modifications to existing production equipment or work processes.
- Troubleshoots production equipment or process problems with Production Supervisor or Equipment Operators. Works with Equipment Operators to resolve process problems for up-time, yield and productivity in addition to, safety and ergonomic issues. Provides instruction in changes that have been made to equipment or processes to insure consistent adherence to specifications and standards.
- Writes SOP’s (Standard Operating Procedures) for all fabrication processes and equipment. Prepares and conducts training sessions with all fabrication employees who will be using production equipment and work processes.
- Maintains documentation of all work instructions and associated material costs for ISO purposes. Evaluates the quality and substance of existing product documentation.
- Pursues additional knowledge attainment by attending trade shows or reading technological / industry publications.
An employee in this position, upon appointment, should have the equivalent of the following:
- Solid knowledge of PLC’s (Programmable Logic Controls).
- Solid knowledge of pneumatics, electrical drive systems and controls used in mechanical and industrial equipment.
- Solid knowledge of the mechanical design of production equipment.
- Solid knowledge of the material flow process used in fabrication.
- Solid knowledge of prototype design and building.
- Solid knowledge of the properties of composites, polymers, resins and adhesives.
- Solid knowledge of the principles and application of manipulating and bonding fabrics and composites together.
- Solid knowledge and use of machine shop equipment such as a lathe, mill and drill press.
- Solid knowledge of computer use and software such as Word, Excel, Project and CAD. Use of Internet for sourcing suppliers.
- Solid knowledge of the principles of cost benefit analysis to prepare production equipment and work process justifications.
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective work relationships with representatives of other departments and suppliers.
- Ability to multi-task and work on several projects in a self-directed manner.
- Ability to originate ideas and move them from concept stage, design, prototyping, testing and actual implementation.
- Ability to read and understand blueprints and electrical schematics.
- Ability to use correct grammar and punctuation to maintain laboratory notebooks for ISO documentation.