A leading manufacturer of customized elastomeric coatings, gaskets, molded components, and other elastomer products for International customers in a variety of markets, has an opening for an experienced Rubber Chemist. This individual will be responsible for rubber compound development, process development and technology support and development.
- Compound Development: Develops rubber compound formulations using laboratory equipment (i.e. rubber roll-mill, Banbury, etc.) and establishes the required compound test methods and acceptance criteria based on specific compound requirement so that the material is capable of producing a finished part that meets the customer’s requirements.
- Process Development: Develops the processing specification and parameters for rubber compounds (e.g., EPDM, HNBR, Silicones, etc.) using compound rheology and other relative process data and works with Production to insure the compound is processing in accordance with all internal specification and is meeting the customer requirements.
- Adesive Bonding: Identifies material and develops the process for rubber-to-rubber and rubber-to-metal (or other materials) bonding which includes surface preparation methods of substrates and selects suitable primer(s) and adhesive(s) that meet internal processing specification as well as the customer’s requirements.
- Process Support: Participates with the Operations Team, Quality and Engineering on Continuous Improvement initiatives and in real-time problem solving of issues that can and will affect throughput, product quality, and deliveries.
- Technology Advancement: Recommends new rubber materials, adhesives and processing technologies through learning and keeping current with new developments in materials and adhesives, material processing, and material applications via on-line research and reading, industry periodicals, trade shows, seminars, conferences and constant contact with material and equipment suppliers.
- Initiates research work for understanding of materials composition/structures - property relationships, and leads material development project from concept to successful launch.
- Prepares standards and specifications for compounds, products, processes, test methods, and facilities.
- Works with Purchasing to identify, verify and qualify new material and mixing / compounding suppliers and on continuously improvement or problem resolution with current material and mixing / compounding suppliers.
- Responsible for updating materials Safety Data Sheets database for lab and production requirements for management review and approval; responsible for laboratory chemicals storage, safe handling, disposal and record keeping / updating on a periodic basis.
- Bachelor's Degree (BS or BA) in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering from an accredited college or university. Master's Degree is preferred.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of related work experience in related area and specifically in rubber compound formulation, compound mixing and compound problem solving.
- Must be a US citizen or have the ability to obtain legal US citizenship status.
- Must be a "hands-on" chemist to work in the lab as well as assist in the production floor.
- Communicates well internally and externally with scientists and engineers regarding work performed, maintains laboratory notebooks/log books, and prepares technical reports and papers.
- Interacts effectively with external suppliers and internal purchasing group for rubber compounds, adhesives and materials sourced.
- Must be familiar with MS Office products, and knowledgeable about statistical analysis software.
- Candidates must be a US Citizen to be considered for this opportunity.