Environmental Health & Safety Manager
Growing company that has been in business for over 80-years has an excellent opportunity available for an EH&S Manager. The EHS Manager is responsible for the overall, environmental, health, and safety compliance for the facility.
- Continually monitor legal developments and update procedures and work instructions as required to ensure plant compliance with all State & Federal directives.
- Communicate all changes in State and Federal regulations to proper plant management and employees.
- Conduct training and safety meetings to improve safety awareness of all employees.
- Implement the Permit to Operate (PTO), including all related requirements.
- Implement future Permits to Install (PTI) as required.
- File required air services reports based upon data gathered from machine and incinerator operating time.
- Work with engineers to develop hard and software for operating time reports for machine and incinerator.
- File and incursion reports in the event of a system failure.
- Maintain relationship with EPA and city personnel.
- File monthly NPDES water reports as required by the EPA.
- Maintain spill containments procedures SPCC.
- Assist EHS in writing and implementation of the Plant Contingency Plan for ISM. Implement and train personnel to follow the plan as required.
- Assure compliance to all radioactive materials testing, monitoring and reporting.
- Maintain DOT certification.
- Implement HAZWOPER Training for employees handling and solid or liquid hazardous waste.
- Comply with reporting regulations and maintain all records for all hazardous waste leaving the facility.
- Implement cost effective methods for recycling any solid waste generated in the facility.
Safety Data Sheets:
- Create and maintain an up-to-date manual containing all applicable materials in the facility; locate safety data sheets or obtain from suppliers.
- Develop system for all incoming production, samples, and maintenance materials to assure that sheets are obtained prior to products entering the building.
- Perform review/audit of safety data sheets.
- Write machine specific Lockout Tagout procedures for all equipment. Assure procedures provide full control of applicable energy sources.
- Physically review all machine guarding in the facility and assure compliance with OSHA regulations.
- Perform all annual training for LOTO, Haz-Com, Confined Space, Blood Borne Pathogens, Forklift Training.
- Monitor noise levels on the production floor and implement hear protection if required.
- Develop and assure compliance to a Contractor Safety Program.
- Implement PPE where required or where best practice dictates for injury avoidance.
- Assure NFPA 70 Electrical Guidelines are complied with.
- Respiratory protection needs must be determined and implemented where necessary.
- Develop plant-wide safety awareness program including accident avoidance plans and safety awareness.
- Participate in all accident investigations and lead teams for 8-D actions to avoid future incidents.
- Development and implement layered audits to provide oversight from all levels of the organization.
- Maintain a safety manual that includes all safety procedures and work instructions.
- Promote safety awareness leadership to maintain an accident free facility – Target 0 lost time incidents per year.
- Stay abreast of all EPA and OSHA regulations and updates.
- Search out training seminars that improve safety knowledge, skills, certifications, and awareness.
- Hold regular safety awareness and communication meetings to develop and maintain a team approach to the importance of safety.
Safety, Housekeeping & General Operating Responsibilities:
- Follow job safety procedures / standard operating procedures as outlines; proper tools, techniques, etc.
- Attend all required safety trainings as designated.
- Follow all requirements as listed in safety programs i.e., Lockout/Tag Out, Hazardous Communication, Confined Space Entry, Hot Work, Spill Control & Clean-up, Material Handling (including fork truck operation & maintenance), Trailer Entry, Safe Lifting Techniques, etc.
- Utilize appropriate PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) such as respirators, gloves, protective suits or shields, safety glasses, safety shoes, hearing protection, etc.
- Reports all accidents and near misses in accordance with procedures. Participate in accident/incident/near miss investigations and efforts to avoid and eliminate potential for future injury or incident.
- Assist in and practice good housekeeping practice and continuous improvement using 3S/5/S.
Communication & Management:
- Resolves and/or escalates issues in a timely fashion.
- Understands how to communicate difficult / sensitive information tactfully.
- Supports collaboration with safety department and all areas of the business.
- Facilitates effect team interaction.
- Acknowledges and appreciates each team member’s contributions.
- Effectively utilizes each team member to his/her fullest potential.
- Seeks and participates in personal development opportunities above and beyond training required.
- Suggests areas for improvement in internal processes along with possible solutions.
- Reviews the status reports of team members and addresses issues as appropriate.
- Complies with and helps to enforce standard policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Five plus years of experience working in an ESH or safety role.
- Ability to lead, train, and mentor employees on a personal level.
Job Reference Number: 12-10E
Midland Recruiters is committed to finding the best candidates and
simplifying your entire search process.